Applying for Social Security benefits is a long and tedious process. However, you can improve and speed up the process by having a clear understanding of how the system works as well as avoiding the following common mistakes:
- If you are unemployed and already getting unemployment benefits, and besides that you file for disability benefits, it brings in a little controversy and makes it difficult to get the case through.
- Another mistake commonly made in this regard is not quitting work while applying for disability benefits.
- Not hiring the services of a disability lawyer on the assumption that you cannot afford one. Note that hiring a lawyer makes it easy to get the benefits.
- Not checking the status of SSDI or SSI claim and not remaining up to date.
- Missing the disability appeal deadline. This is the most fatal mistake of all.
- Not preparing for the Social Security Disability hearing.
- Another major mistake made in this regard is not taking proper medication as prescribed by the doctor or not being regular in taking medicines.
- Not alleging mental conditions on a Social Security disability or SSI disability application.
- Not seeing a doctor for your medical or emotional problems.
- Mistake 10: Not switching doctors when your doctor is unsupportive; read our article on when it’s time to switch doctors for your disability.
Professionals at Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates, P.A will fight to get you the medical or wage benefits you are entitled to under the law. Employers and Insurance Companies have professionals working for them and there are no fees or costs until you recover. It‘s time for you to hire us to protect your rights.