Workplace violence has become one of the most dangerous factors leading to workplace injuries. In addition to workers compensation claims, it also brings bad name to the organization. Thus it should be avoided anyways. Some organizations try to get away with the issue saying that the workplace violence is something unpredictable. This is not true; it can be very effectively avoided by taking some preventive measures such as:
- Having a policy in black and white about the penalties resulting from workplace violence is the first step. The policy should state clearly that zero tolerance shall be practiced against those who engage in such behavior.
- Create an environment of mutual trust by getting feedback from the employees and involving them in the decision making process. The managers should get input from the workers before taking any major decisions about the nature of the work being performed by them.
- Give your employees an opportunity to state their opinion about organizational policies and the impact of changes brought in them.
- Have a management team in place that is entrusted with the responsibility of looking for the possible signs of violence. Apart from this educate the employees about what constitutes workplace violence and encourage them to report any such incidents immediately.
- Disseminate the information internally. Make sure that people at the same level have the same information at the same time.
- Keep the employees motivated by offering rewards and benefits.
- Provide appropriate leadership and a strategic framework, including mission, vision, values, and goals. People want to feel as if they are part of something bigger than themselves. If they understand the direction, and their part in making the desired outcomes happen, they can effectively contribute more.
Professionals at Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates, P.A will fight to get you the medical or wage benefits you are entitled to under the law. Employers and Insurance Companies have professionals working for them and there are no fees or costs until you recover. It‘s time for you to hire us to protect your rights.